Jeepin.com Forums JeepinOutfitters

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > General > NON-JEEP Auto & 4x4 tech

Old 12-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
dee97TJ
The Best Trail Guide

Default Tundra Tires and wheels

Hey boys and girls!!!!! How is everyone?!? I'm rolling around a tundra these days and need some tire advice. I have 37x12.5x18's now and the tech who looked at it at anyone's off-road in Suisun showed me that my 18's are actually showing rub from the tire rod . It has about a 6" lift and he told me I can either get new wheels and tires (20's) or spacers or take the risk of the rub. Soooo I'm thinking of spacers and want to get your opinions bc I don't want it looking ghetto (he also kinda scared me and told me I had to tighten them regularly :/.
Also, I could use your input in tires. He's trying to sell me toyo's but I feel like there should be better/more options out there? TIA!!!!

Oh and I'd post pictures if I could figure out how?
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by didyduit View Post
mama dee is the woman of every mans dreams
dee97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
awheelterd
Trail Guide

HI dee! Long time no visit!

I can't say that I know anything about tundras, but from a quick Google search and reading a thread on Tacoma forum, he doesn't seem to be steering you wrong. It looks to be a common issue with lifts and stock wheels. What size wheelspacers you need depend on the backspacing of your current wheels. If you know the brand and size of your lift they should be able to tell you what the minimum requirement is for their lift. For example, the 6" procomp lift the dude on the forum had required no more than 4.5" backspacing on no smaller than 17" wheel.

So far as tightening them idk how often you should, but I would think it's something you could have done whenever you take it in for an oil change
awheelterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
FUBAR
four years later???

You should check wheel spacer lugs after driving it the first time just like you should any wheel. Use some blue for peace of mind. Nothing wrong with spacers.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #4
dee97TJ
The Best Trail Guide

I know :/ I need to come by more often! I talk about y'all more than I visit which is ridiculous.
I appreciate the google search. He was pretty straight up with me. I have a procomp lift and I'm glad to hear it's more common-ish. Do you think that I should get the spacers given the risk that I run with with tire rod hitting? Does the tire rod only hit when I have the wheel at full tilt? (I've never heard it before like he mentioned I should have).
Also, with spacers, would I expect my tires to rub? They don't now...
Any suggestion for tires? Toyos are pretty expensive but I'd hate to hear excessive sound from tires after 20k miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awheelterd View Post
HI dee! Long time no visit!

I can't say that I know anything about tundras, but from a quick Google search and reading a thread on Tacoma forum, he doesn't seem to be steering you wrong. It looks to be a common issue with lifts and stock wheels. What size wheelspacers you need depend on the backspacing of your current wheels. If you know the brand and size of your lift they should be able to tell you what the minimum requirement is for their lift. For example, the 6" procomp lift the dude on the forum had required no more than 4.5" backspacing on no smaller than 17" wheel.

So far as tightening them idk how often you should, but I would think it's something you could have done whenever you take it in for an oil change
Quote:

Last edited by dee97TJ; 12-25-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #5
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

What kind of toyos? I have nitto terra grapplers on my truck, I really like them and they are quite for a mud terrain. If you want something more all terrain a few guys I work with run the toyo open country at2 and like them.

As for the spacers, if you get quality ones it's not a big deal. Re torque them once and you should be good. Or just get new wheels with less backspacing if you are uncomfortable with spacers
Old 12-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
dee97TJ
The Best Trail Guide

The ones he recommends are the AT2's. I'll look at your tires though. It's more the cost I'm looking at. I've only heard of Spyder spacers being better than most...I can't really afford new wheels AND tires. And I'm not sure how long I'll I'll keep the truck (more than 2 years that is, idk). I just like the set up of what I have (It's not obnoxously wide) but if you think the spacers are a manageable change then I'd feel better. If it changes the rub and drive, then I'll figure out how to get new wheels before I buy the 37'' so I can get 20's with 35's.

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblehm View Post
What kind of toyos? I have nitto terra grapplers on my truck, I really like them and they are quite for a mud terrain. If you want something more all terrain a few guys I work with run the toyo open country at2 and like them.

As for the spacers, if you get quality ones it's not a big deal. Re torque them once and you should be good. Or just get new wheels with less backspacing if you are uncomfortable with spacers
Quote:
Old 12-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
dee97TJ
The Best Trail Guide

Good news. Annoying thing is it's a ***** to get to the lug nuts with my wheels but I'll survive! And preferences on spacer brand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
You should check wheel spacer lugs after driving it the first time just like you should any wheel. Use some blue for peace of mind. Nothing wrong with spacers.
Quote:
Old 12-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
JEEPJERK
Wanna make out?

Hi Dee!

I wouldn't think you'd need a spacer any thicker than maybe 1/2in, just enough to get the tire away from the tierod end. It's not like you need a 2in spacer, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've never run a spacer, so I have no further help for you.

Maybe post a picture of this badass Taco.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
dee97TJ
The Best Trail Guide

Awesome! If I can get away with the smallest change possible, that's what I want.
and I would but I don't remember how to post a pic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPJERK View Post
Hi Dee!

I wouldn't think you'd need a spacer any thicker than maybe 1/2in, just enough to get the tire away from the tierod end. It's not like you need a 2in spacer, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've never run a spacer, so I have no further help for you.

Maybe post a picture of this badass Taco.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
JEEPJERK
Wanna make out?

Haha, your picture doesn't work for me! You have to have the picture hosted somewhere, like facebook, photobucket or the likes.

Don't worry about the pic, no need to go through too much work.

Happy New Year, Dee.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #11
MBood82
Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to MBood82

There are two different kinds of spacers, generally separated by the amount they space out the wheel.

One kind goes between the wheel and hub, looks like this:

The other bolts to the hub and then bolts to the wheel. Looks like this:

The first kind generally needs a longer wheel stud to work. The second kind doesn't but has hidden lug nuts that need to be torqued. There are arguments all over the internet about what is better. I think with a quality longer wheel stud the first kind is better as it's fully sandwiched to the hub. The second style, if it's poorly made, can lead to the wheel completely separating from the hub. However, the second version is the only viable one once you reach a certain spacer thickness.

To post a picture just get the url to where it's hosted and put it between image tags, like these: [img] [/img]
MBood82 is offline   Reply With Quote