Jeepin.com Forums

Go Back   Jeepin.com Forums > General > Jeep Talk

Old 05-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Vetteboy
glamour turquoise

Send a message via AIM to Vetteboy
Default Hydro assist via steering box drill/tap?

I'm most likely going to do some form of hydro assist for the steering on my XJ. Both to relieve some steering effort on my part, and also to relieve some stress from the steering box area on the frame rail.

This article about sums it up:
http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~offroad/tech/...w_Steering_Box

Has anyone done this, or had experience with a rig with it? I know Kurt was messin around with a hydro setup for a while but I forget what he ended up doing.

I'm just curious as to the results you'd get with a setup done this way, compared to actually buying a hydro-assist box.

DD/tow: '05 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-speed.

Wheelin '09...time to have fun.

Hammers: x
Rausch Creek: xxxxxxxx
Uhwarrie 4x4cross: x
Line Mountain Miler: x
Big Dogs: x
RCRocs race: x (= dead xj)

Wheelin '10...time to go faster.
Vetteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
bbaCJ8
old and boring

Send a message via AIM to bbaCJ8

I'm pretty sure kurt tried the drill and tap method and the box couldn't take the added pressures. I think he ended up getting a new PSC box and is good now.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Vetteboy
glamour turquoise

Send a message via AIM to Vetteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ
I'm pretty sure kurt tried the drill and tap method and the box couldn't take the added pressures. I think he ended up getting a new PSC box and is good now.
Added pressures...

It would seem to me that since the pump itself isn't getting changed, that the actual pressure isn't going up. The way I was thinking about it is that you're 'redistributing' the pressure elsewhere - splitting it between the sector drive and the hydro ram - and the method of force transfer is more efficient on the hydro ram, so that's where your advantage comes from.

I might be way off on that though.

DD/tow: '05 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-speed.

Wheelin '09...time to have fun.

Hammers: x
Rausch Creek: xxxxxxxx
Uhwarrie 4x4cross: x
Line Mountain Miler: x
Big Dogs: x
RCRocs race: x (= dead xj)

Wheelin '10...time to go faster.
Vetteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Lubes
alcoholic little wombat

Here's some tech on upgrading the pump once you do figure out the box tapping... I've been meaning to try it out, but haven't had the Big Guy running for a long enough period of time to care about petty little stuff like how well it turns...
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html
Old 05-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
nblehm
Needs moar dagger

Send a message via AIM to nblehm

thats what red neck does isnt it? you send them your box they drill and tap it and you get it back. I'm pretty sure anyway. I also did what lubes posted (I think didnt really read it, just glanced) to my stock pump when it was struggling with my full hydro
Old 05-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Kurt
TJ Pimp

I drilled and tapped mine, as well as drilling out the fitting in the pump for more fluid...the problem was that my ram was getting very hot even after some short drives. You could probably get away with a power steering cooler, but I went with the PSC reservoir. I didnt get all the air out and I think I burned up my pump...so I got a new PSC P-pump, and THAT is was created too much pressure for my steering box (which the seals were going out on anyway...so that put it over the edge).....

97 TJ. Hemi, auto, 1-tons, etc.
02 F350 7.3L - Tow Rig

Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
mxjeepin
Trail Guide

Send a message via AIM to mxjeepin

i did the drill and tap deal to my steering box last summer. it worked out pretty well. leaks a little but im not too concerned about it. i dont drive the jeep very often but it definitley help on steering. before i was having trouble steerting with the spool and now its not a problem. i will be looking into a cooler for it though shortly
mxjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
arizonaxj
Trail Guide

I know a lot of guys that are running hydro assist on Toyotas. They all run bigger fluid reservours, and inline transmission coolers to get the temps down.
They also have to mod the pump and res. Seems to work pretty well. Most of them are running a 1-1/2" bore. Any bigger and the steering response gets too slow.
I haven't done mine yet. Bigger fish to fry for the time being.